Teacher in Charge: Mr P. Kotze
This is a wood-based course of one term duration, four times per week, and is workshop-based. You will be involved in decision-making and workshop safety.
The emphasis is on Design skills and Craftsmanship and in order to demonstrate this, you will be designing and making three projects. The first will be a quick, short project that will be teacher-led in order to set up your skill base for the following projects.
- Function, Purpose, Ownership.
- Design work- Research, Concepts x 3, Development, Cutting List, Final design.
- Final is to be sketched but must also be a CAD presentation using Sketchup.
If time allows, there will also be an introduction to bone carving.
Wood work basics:
• Marking out.
• Use of a series of hand tools.
• Accuracy and Quality of finish.
• Understanding the use of glues.
• Cutting lists
o What type/s of timber do you intend to use and why?
o What are its/their characteristics and properties?
o Which ones do you intend you use?
The use of CAD (Sketchup) for a final pictorial and working drawing of your projects.
Use of machines including:
o Pillar drill
o Biscuit/Domino jointer
o Belt sander/orbital sander
A4 clearfile folder, pencil and pen.